Winter

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chapter 3 "First Flight"

Ann opens this chapter with a dialogue with a friend as she slices cucumbers.  Her friend notices, "You've changed". 
  Boy, I would LOVE to hear those words, especially from the ones who are closest to me.  I want to change, grow, be more loving, more at peace, more....happy/joyful.
She credits this "change" to "the list" but even more than that, to the daily discipline she is developing by "hunting" for thankfulness.
She reminds me that it is learned and learning doesn't come easy or quickly.  I should know.  As I home school my brood, I'm constantly reminded that some concepts need to continuously be practiced, drilled, monotonous, begrudging.  And then it happens, the concept, the skill, the technique becomes second nature.
   I want thankfulness to be second first nature.
It's more than just being thankful, it is naming the gifts.  By naming, it's like we are receiving them personally from our good God.  It is in the specific rather than the general.
"Slapping a sloppy brush of thanksgiving over everything in my life 
leaves me deeply thankful 
for very few things in life.
...life-changing gratitude does not fasten to a life
unless nailed through 
with one very specific nail at a time."

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a stay at home, homeschooling mom to four beautiful children and wife to my dream man who I am completely in love with. I love God and am in the process of learning rather recently (I'm sorry to say) that I can do no good thing apart from Him.

Family

Family
The Rumohr 1/2 dz

The School Kids

The School Kids
Miriam-6 1/2 yrs.-Discerning, Abigail 8 1/2yrs.-Cherished of God Isaac 10 yrs.- Child of Promise

The Lil' One

The Lil' One
Levi 3 1/2 yrs.-Harmonious